Become a Licensed Elementary Teacher in Illinois
- $66,140 median annual salary1
- Illinois is among the top employers of elementary teachers nationwide1
- 4% job growth through 20292
Prepare for success as an elementary school teacher with Greenville University’s online M.A. in Teaching – Elementary Education degree. Graduates of this program can sit for the edTPA exam and pursue initial licensure in the state of Illinois to teach grades one through six.
Rising student enrollment numbers and current teacher retirement are driving the need for trained educators.2 With a 99% edTPA pass rate and 90% employment within the first year after graduation, Greenville students improve learning outcomes and make a difference in students’ lives through exceptional education experiences.
Elementary School Teacher
Elementary school teachers instruct students in grades one through six in essential subjects, including language arts, mathematics, social studies, science, and more. These educators are responsible for giving young learners the building blocks they need to be successful for the rest of their school careers.
Elementary teachers prepare their students for middle school by creating age-appropriate lesson plans, evaluating students’ progress, helping them overcome learning challenges, and preparing them for standardized tests. Depending on school structure, they might teach multiple subjects to one class throughout the day or teach on specialized subject-area teams working with multiple classes every day.
Request More Information
Our enrollment team is here to answer your questions and provide additional details about the online programs available from Greenville University. Complete the form to get started.
When you complete this program, you will be able to:
- Design lesson plans around student needs and interests
- Prepare engaging lesson plans
- Engage students in learning
- Use data-driven assessment to make instructional decisions
Greenville University is here to support you during your program and after graduation.
Contact the Office of Career Services at (618) 664–6655 for more information.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Employment and Wage Statistics. Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes252021.htm#st.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Stattstics. Kindergarten and Elementary School Teachers. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/kindergarten-and-elementary-school-teachers.htm#tab-6.